About Warsop Parish
This is the description of Warsop Parish that was prepared by Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group in 2001 for a Nottinghamshire County Coucil Leaflet promoting the local footpaths network.
Warsop is located in the north-west of Nottinghamshire, between Mansfield and Worksop on the A60. Warsop Parish includes the towns and villages of Market Warsop, Church Warsop, Meden Vale, Warsop Vale, Spion Kop and Sookholme.
Warsop is fortunate to enjoy an extensive network of footpaths that provides a variety of popular walks within the parish and also easy access to Sherwood Forest, The Dukeries and Pleasley Vale. The paths in the north of the parish provide routes through woodland with the springtime display of bluebells in Collier Spring Wood well worth a visit. Interesting walks nearer the centre of the parish can include the River Meden, The Carrs and the Hills and Holes. To the south and east old lanes across farmland lead to the conifer plantations and ancient heathland of Sherwood Forest. The Robin Hood Way, The Maun Trail and the Sustrans National Cycle Route all pass through the parish.
Warsop is proud of its wildlife. We have a range of habitats that change from the sandy soils in the east to the limestone in the west. The River Meden provides the focus of The Carrs recreation park with its well-known Mill Dam. There are two Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs). The Hills and Holes and Sookholme Brook SSSI include former limestone workings which are now valued for a wonderful range of plant life. The second SSSI is the ancient coppice woodland of Lord Stubbins Wood.
The Domesday Book tells that in 1086 Warsop had a priest, a church and a mill by a weir. A market was held every Tuesday from 1329 and three fairs were held each year. Because of this Warsop was known as Warsop Fair Town and later Market Warsop. The section of the town to the north of the River Meden became known as Warsop Church Town and later Church Warsop.
Records for Sookholme exist from 1121 and the Church is of Norman origin. There was once a water mill at Sookholme, one of the farms is named Mill Farm.
The large increase in the population of the parish began after Warsop Main Colliery opened in 1893. The colliery village of Warsop Vale was built between 1900 and 1909. Welbeck Colliery Village was started in 1925 and was renamed Meden Vale in the late 1960s. The colliery village at Church Warsop was built from 1926 and became known locally as Scab Alley because many of the strikebreakers of the Great Strike were housed there. The colliery waste tips have been restored with access to the Shirebook and Warsop Main tips providing walking and extensive views over the area.
In 1996 the Parish Council
joined the Parish Paths Partnership Scheme in which it undertook to assist Nottinghamshire
County Council in maintaining and improving our footpaths and bridleways. Warsop
Footpaths and Countryside Group is a community voluntary group whose members
undertake this work on behalf of the Council, performing tasks that include
footpath clearance, way marking, erecting stiles and building steps. The Group
also promotes the local countryside, takes on other conservation activities
and organises a programme of walks.